Carpet Performance Counts on the Quality Installation
Are you a good do-it-yourself-ers? Better not depend on it! Installing carpet needs a special skill. It is not a lay-and-go method. Correct or incorrect installation will affect its performance and the air quality inside your home. It is recommended to hire a professional contractor who follows the Carpet Installation Standard in all aspects of installing carpet.
Usually, retailers know some professional installers around. They can recommend someone for you if you ask. There are also retailers who are good in handling the details when it comes to installation of flooring. It is best to inquire about the details of removing and disposing old floors and moving in and out of furniture. There should be additional fees when it comes to it.
Before the job will start you should know what kind of services the installer will provide so that you will be able to handle things needed as the owner.
- It is best to remove breakable items where the carpet will be installed.
- If you don’t have someone to remove and dispose the old carpet and cushion, let the installer do the job and ask for how much will be the additional fees.
You can also check for recycling options for your old flooring.
- Ask your installer to hide the seams in areas that are less visible although some of them can’t be hidden virtually.
- Carpets that are not stretched tend to wrinkle especially when they are installed over a carpet cushion. Power stretching should be done to the carpets. Your installer should follow the instructions of the manufacturer and of the CRI Installation Standard.
- You should first complete other projects you intended to do in the room before the carpeting is installed so that it won’t ruin the newly installed carpet if you do it after.
- Vacuum the old carpet, (if carpet is your old flooring to be replaced) so that when it is removed, there won’t be airborne dust and dirt.
- Clean the subfloor using vacuum before the installation.
Tips during carpet installation
- When the carpet is delivered, check the texture, color and the style if it is what you have paid for and to make sure that there are no defects on it.
- CRI requires that when installing carpet, it should be power stretched to lessen rippling and wrinkling.
- The seam edges should be sealed properly using the right adhesive. In this way, the edges won’t ravel.
- Another thing is that carpet must be installed over a basically sound substrate.
- If there are insect and water damages it should be repaired before the installation.
- There should be sufficient air in the room during the installation to clear out the smell of the new carpet. Months after the installation, sprouting or shedding may occur. This won’t affect the life of the carpet. When shedding occurs, regular vacuuming will make it subside. Some single fiber may sprout. Do not pull it but cut it up. If wrinkles and ripples occur, the carpet should be re-stretched. You should call your retailer. When problems arise, you can also ask them for advice.